HVAC Controls / Building Automation Application Engineer
This position will report to the Hardware/Software Team Leader and will be responsible for developing comprehensive applications engineered solutions for specific projects, as well as, providing technical/sales support to the field organization. This position will act as the primary liaison between the sales and operations team. Only candidates with a strong background in HVAC Controls/Building Automation, Applications Engineering, and DDC Programming will be considered. This office-based position is responsible for the design of building automation systems using company tools and operating protocols. Receives project specifications from the sales team and designs building automation systems and service installed jobs.
- Reviews bid specifications and develops exception documentation
- Chooses the appropriate mix of products and installation methods to provide the most cost-effective solution.
- Prepares all required installation submittals and schedules subsequent hand-off to operations. Handles the ordering of all required products and equipment.
- Acts as a technical resource to team and customer as needed. Participates in sales to operations turnover meetings to evaluate the accuracy of the sales estimate and job layout.
- Participate in initial job site walk through with contractors and building management. Independently designs building automation systems for standard and critical environment facilities. May need to create unique design solutions to meet specific customer requirements.
- Designs building automation systems for large and/or complex buildings consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials, sequence of operations, valve, damper & AFMS schedules, and DDC panel layouts to meet the intent of the project plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Designs BAS network architecture to support operator workstations, DDC field panels, field controllers & third-party integration devices. Analyzes plans, construction contract specifications, and codes to determine project requirements and risks.
- Provides start-up and checkout documentation to the installation team for use in commissioning and validation.
- Prepares engineering re-estimate and follows up with appropriate sales and management to assure understanding of and satisfaction with job scope.
- Prepares specifications and drawings for special components and panels purchased from outside suppliers. Selects proper types and sizes of control products to meet project requirements.
- Prepares all request for information (RFIs) on pre-installation extras or change orders to submit to the customer or general/ subcontractor.
- Orders and tracks all required products and materials for timely delivery on the job site. May perform some field activities as required. Responsible for maintaining and updating hardware and engineering standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred
- 3-5 years of applicable experience, strong mechanical aptitude, and any technical school training
- Have an understanding of electrical circuitry, construction environments, and safe work practices
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, electrical, mechanical and control drawings
- Working knowledge of MS Office, File Structure, VISIO, Knowledge of basic BACNET/LON/MODBUS protocols
- Must be highly organized and possess the ability to work in a high paced environment with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet the schedules given by the leadership
- Demonstrate the ability to operate independently and autonomously and take ownership of all tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and team oriented.